Proudly Presented In Glorious 2-D!

<b>Proudly Presented In Glorious 2-D!</b>
2010 marks the 25th year for Drivin N Cryin.

The band has agreed to allow cameras to invade their collective space in an effort to document the milestone.

The filmmakers will use this blog to keep Drivin N Cryin fans up to date on the project.

Follow us as we follow the band on a months-long journey that will result in a full-length feature film.

Sunday, March 28, 2010



It's not as if things haven't been going on with the movie lately. It's just that I haven't found the time to write it down. So let's go back to Saturday the 20th of March and get caught up.

Since Sunday the 21st was going to be a travel day to Florida for the radio show I had decided to turn in early in order to get a quick start to Orlando the next morning. Just as I was heading up to my bedroom my cellphone buzzed. Kevn's name popped up. This is a rare thing. I answered- "Hey, Eric I was sitting here reading my book and I started wondering if you were going to be around for the KTO reunion at The Earl tonight?"

This was out of left field because I had planned to cover the Kathleen Turner Overdrive reunion for the documentary but for some reason thought it was happening a week later. The good thing was they weren't hitting the stage till midnight. I quickly arranged to meet Kevn & others at his apartment & called Sebastian to see if he could find some halfway decent equipment & meet us at the venue. C-Bass answered his phone while performing some task at whatever job he holds at night. Luckily he was off at 10:30 & could get everything there by 11:30.

I arrived at the apartment to find a candlelit poker game in progress. I've never played any kind of poker in my life but Kevn insisted & threw a handful of coins in front of me. Everyone at the table coached my every move and I ended up winning the first hand. Beginner's luck. I got stomped in the next dealing of the cards and it was time to head toward the venue.

For the uninitiated- Kathleen Turner Overdrive is a group that was formed by Tim Nielsen in the early 90's with Ray DaFrico. Ray & Tim were band mates in The Nightporters- an 80's group that predates DnC. Like DnC there were various lineups through the years but Mac Carter & Dave V. Johnson have been mainstays. KTO has a deep catalog well worth exploring & getting to see them together was a treat. Unfortunately, the reason for the reunion was sad. Former vocalist/drummer Wally Gates had tragically taken his own life & the guys were part of an evening honoring his musical legacy. The short set was brilliant and honored their friend the right way- plugging in & tearing up the stage.

Before & after the performance we got some great interviews with Dave, Mac, & Tim on all manner of subjects. Then C-Bass put away the camera and the fun really began.

I really wish we had had cameras rolling when I showed up at the Dark Horse Tavern just as Kevn & friends were spilling out onto the streets laughing uncontrollably. They had thrown themselves out just before being asked to leave after tossing a serious wrench into the live Karaoke proceedings. I don't know exactly what happened but I did glean from their laughter that the band actually stopped playing and insisted on order before beginning again. We made our way over to Atkins for one beer- then walked into The Warren just as someone was shouting last call. We ordered & sat on the porch and talked about the Braves & Kevn's reasons for loving the game of golf until the bartenders made good on their threats and threw us all to the curb.

We decided to walk back to the apartment. Kevn filled me in on customs in The Netherlands as he and Scotty argued about whether Bobby Cox could deliver a championship in his final year with the Braves. It was during this exchange that Kevn let me know he had once done a charity event with Johnny Bench and that the former Reds catcher wasn't very cool. "I hate to say it Eric, but Johnny Bench... kind of a dick!"

We got to the apartment, agreed to meet in NYC on the 5th to start the formal interviews for the movie, and went separate ways. When I climbed in my car the clock said 3:15. I had originally plannned to leave for Florida at 5a. A change in travel plans was imminent.

KTO @ The Earl 03-21-10